2018 Young Leaders Access Program
The Application is Now Closed
The YLA brings together youth from all over the world, united by the goal of creating positive change in their communities. It is a one year program comprised of three components:
- The YLA Retreat
- Project Implementation
- Alumni Mentorship and Support
The YLA launches with the Retreat in late July, held in New York, NY and Burlington, Vermont. It consists of three modules: Modern Leadership, Global Citizenship, and Local Change. During the final phase of the retreat, Young Leaders will create a unique action plan to address an issue in his/her community. Over the following year, Young Leaders implement their plans while being guided remotely through online workshops and a Mentor from the Young Leaders alumni community. Once Young Leaders have successfully completed the YLA they are eligible to apply for the Alumni Ventures Fund which awards grants of up to $5,000 USD with a year of professional mentorship.
The application process will consist of three rounds: the general application, a brief needs assessment, and an alumni interview.
The general application opens on October 31, 2017 and is open to any eligible persons. Shortlist candidates will be asked to submit a brief needs assessment which will outline their community issue and potential solutions in greater detail. Candidates who complete the second round will be contacted for an interview with alumni of the program. Selected participants will be notified of their acceptance on April 2, 2018.
Young Leaders Must:
- Be between the ages of 18-26 years old
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Have access to email or another internet platform that allows consistent communication with the MCW team and mentor for the duration of the year-long program
- Demonstrate commitment to their community
- Identify an issue faced by their community they would like to address
- Commit to attending the weeklong retreat and spending the following year implementing change in their community and staying in contact with their mentor
- Be eligible for appropriate visa and travel documentation
- Submit completed application on or before January 2, 2018
October 31, 2017: Application I Opens
January 2, 2018 at 23:59 New York Time (NYT): Application I Closes
February 2, 2018: Decisions Sent out, Short List Candidates Notified and begin Application Part II
February 25, 2018 at 23:59 New York Time (NYT): Application II Closes
March 2-30, 2018: Interviews with Alumni
April 2, 2018: Acceptances Sent Out
May 4, 2018: Confirm Acceptance with Visa Interview Date and Deposit
July 24, 2018- August 2, 2018 : YLA Retreat
August 2, 2018- July 24, 2019: YLA Implementation
The YLA Application is hosted on Google Forms. This means that you must have a gmail account to fill out the application. If you do not already have a Gmail account you can sign up for one for free.
If you are unable to access gmail from your country please email email@example.com and we can provide you with a written copy of the application.
It is required that the application is filled out in English. All letters of recommendation and your CV should also be completed in English. Any parts of the application that are not in English will not be read and the application will be considered incomplete. If your resume/ CV or letters of recommendation are not upload into the application, it will be considered incomplete.
The application consists of the following:
- General Information
- Essay Questions
- Identify an issue in your community that concerns you. How would you like to address this issue?
- Describe one time you have been faced with a challenge and had to use a leadership skill to come up with a solution.
- Resume/ CV
- Your resume/ CV should not be more than one page.
- You must upload your resume/ CV directly into the application in PDF format
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Your letters should come from people who know your work ethic and commitment to your local community. Friends and family members are discouraged from writing the letters of recommendation.
- Recommenders should state their name, position, and relationship to the applicant at the top of the letter.
- The letter should be on official letterhead, signed and dated.
- You must upload your letters of recommendation directly into the application in PDF format
- Liability Waiver
In an effort to make the program accessible to all individuals the Young Leaders Access Program MCW will cover all program costs and all flight costs for every accepted participant. This means that MCW will cover all costs during the program (July 24- August 2, 2018 ) including housing, food, travel, and any necessary supplies.
MCW does requires that all participants pay for any on the ground costs including passport, visa, and in-country ground fees.*
*Not applicable for U.S. based participants.
Find more details here.
The mentor application is now open! Apply now!