BECOME A MENTOR
Mentor Applications for YLA 2021 are OPEN!
Supporting participants in our year-long Young Leaders Access Program, MCW YLA mentors help young leaders worldwide develop into leaders of positive change in their communities. It’s an enormously rewarding opportunity that helps alumni continue with their own leadership growth, work with internationally and culturally diverse teams, and connect with fellow alumni from around the world, as well as the MCW Global community. However, participation as a mentor requires a commitment of time and effort, so please consider applying only if you are prepared to contribute meaningfully.
What is the Young Leaders Access Program?
Our year-long Young Leaders Access Program is for participants worldwide (18 to 26) who want to become leaders of positive change in their communities. It is our mentors, returning YLA participants, who help facilitate this process. The program's mentorship part is based on 2 phases: (1) Virtual Program, including Mentor Training; and (2) Ongoing Vision Planning and Project Development.
The Virtual Learning Program
The Young Leaders Access Program begins with an online program that focuses on leadership development, global citizenship, and how to develop a project from beginning to end.
Mentors play a crucial role in the success of the virtual program as they lead sessions and activities, monitor and evaluate the work of the mentees, and help build group cohesion. Mentors are also paired with mentee(s), helping guide them through the process of creating a viable vision plan.
The Virtual Learning Program (September to December 2021) begins with mentor training (August to September 2021). Mentors explore the methods and tools behind vision planning, team building, and cultural competency during the training.
Ongoing Vision Planning and Project Development
During the year, mentors continue to provide mentees with guidance and support on the development of their vision plans by facilitating quarterly “hangouts,” in addition to ongoing remote communication, in which mentors check in on the status of their mentees' vision plans, share inspirational ideas and stories, and address any questions that arise along the way.
Mentors are supported throughout the process by Co-Lead Mentors and the MCW Global team by participating in quarterly “hangouts” and ongoing remote communication.
To be eligible to become a Mentor, mentors should:
- Be a graduate of the Young Leaders Access Program or a pre-2016 Youth Leadership Retreat (Mentees of the 2020 YLA are eligible to apply).
- Maintain timely communications and engagement with the MCW Global team.
- Demonstrate efforts to further develop their vision plan, in part or in whole, and to share lessons learned from the process.
- Have access to email or other internet communication platforms (e.g. WhatsApp, Facebook, and ZOOM) that support regular communication with Co-Lead Mentors, the MCW Global team, and mentees.
- Commit to attending the full Virtual Program, including Mentor Training (August - September 2021) and providing ongoing Vision Planning and Project Development Support during the year-long program (September 2021 - July 2022).
- Submit a complete application by May 16, 2021.
April 12, 2021: Mentor application opens
May 16, 2021: Mentor application closes (Deadline at 11:59 PM EST - New York Timezone)
June 1, 2021: Mentor applicants informed of acceptance decisions
June 15, 2021: Accepted applicants confirm participation
August - September 2021: Virtual mentor training
September - December 2021: The Virtual Learning Program
December 2021- July 2022: Support for Vision Planning and Project Development
September 2021 - July 2022: Four mentor hangouts (dates and months TBC)
July 2022: Young Leaders Access Program ends, including Mentorship
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com
*** *** ***
Are you interested in being a Lead Mentor for this year's Young Leaders Access Program?
If you were a mentor at a past Young Leaders Access Program or a pre-2016 Youth Leadership Retreat you are eligible to apply.
- Participating in online planning sessions for the program;
- Participating in and facilitating the Mentor Training portion of the YLA program prior to the Virtual Program;
- Participating in the entire Virtual Program;
- Participating in a post-program evaluation;
- Assigning mentors with roles and responsibilities, such as energizers, and workshops;
- Organizing and facilitating mentor meetings;
- Being available on an ad-hoc basis to address mentor needs and questions;
- Contributing ideas, opportunities, and inspirational stories throughout the YLA program;
- Co-lead quarterly mentor hangouts with mentors and MCW Global team members.
If you wish to be considered for the role, please fill out the mentor application and click "YES" to the question "Do you want your application to be considered for the role of Co-Lead Mentor?"