BECOME A MENTOR
2023 Young Leaders Fellowship - Mentor Applications are OPEN!
About the Program
What is it
The Young Leaders Fellowship Program is a one-of-a-kind leadership opportunity open to all young people between 18 – 26 from all over the world who wish to address community projects in the areas of education, health, and economic security. The year-long Fellowship prepares young people to become leaders of change in their communities through leadership development, global citizenship, self-awareness, and vision planning.
Contents of the Program
What We Offer
It is our mentors, Fellowship alumni, who help facilitate this process. The program’s mentorship part is based on three phases
In-Person | Mentor Training
(July 8, 9 & 10, 2023) | New York
The 2023 Fellowship begins with Mentor Training. Mentors explore the methods and tools behind vision planning, team building, and cultural competency during the training.
In-Person | Vision Planning & Project Development
(July 11 – 20, 2023) | New York & Vermont
In the in-person Fellowship Training Program, which includes diverse speakers, workshops, events, and facilitated group work, participants can put their local issues into a larger global context while understanding why they are uniquely positioned to change their community. The program will focus on leadership development, global citizenship, and how to develop a project from beginning to end.
Mentors play a crucial role in the success of the in-person Fellowship Training Program as they lead sessions and activities, monitor and evaluate the work of the mentees, and help build group cohesion. Mentors are also paired with mentee(s), helping guide them through the process of creating a viable vision plan.
Virtual | Project Implementation & Alumni Mentorship
(August 2023 – July 2024)
To further develop and execute their actionable plans, mentors continue to provide mentees with guidance and support on the development of their vision plans by facilitating regular “hangouts,” in addition to ongoing remote communication, in which mentors check in on the status of their mentees’ vision plans, share inspirational ideas and stories, and address any questions that arise along the way.
Mentors are supported throughout the process by Co-Lead Mentors and the MCW Global team by participating in regular “hangouts” and ongoing remote communication.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible to become a Mentor, mentors should:
- Be a graduate of the Young Leaders Fellowship (previously known as the Young Leaders Access Program – YLA or a pre-2016 Youth Leadership Retreat). Mentees of the 2022 Fellowship are eligible to apply.
- Maintain timely communications and engagement with the MCW Global team.
- Demonstrate efforts to further develop their vision plan, in part or in whole, and to share lessons learned from the process.
- Have access to email or other internet communication platforms (e.g. WhatsApp, Facebook, and ZOOM) that support regular communication with Co-Lead Mentors, the MCW Global team, and mentees.
- Commit to attending the 2023 Fellowship in-person Mentor Training (July 8, 9 & 10, 2023), in-person Training Program (July 11 – July 20, 2023), and providing ongoing Vision Planning and Project Development Support during the year-long program (August 2023 – July 2024).
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (and be able to provide proof) or in case of an exemption from this requirement due to a medical reason, contact MCW Global Leadership directly for further steps.
- Be eligible for appropriate visa and travel documentation.
- Submit a complete application by December 4, 2022.
Stay on Track
- November 4, 2022: Mentor Application Opens;
- December 4, 2022: Mentor Application Closes (Deadline at 11:59 PM EST – New York Timezone);
- December 19, 2022: Mentor Acceptances Sent Out;
- December 28, 2022: Confirmation of Acceptance;
- January 15, 2023: Confirmation of Visa Interview Date;
- July 8, 9 & 10, 2023: In-Person Mentor Training (New York, New York);
- July 11 – July 20, 2023: In-Person Training Program – Young Leaders Fellowship (New York, New York & Burlington, Vermont);
- August 2023 – July 2024: Support Vision Planning and Project Development;
- September 2023 – June 2024: Regular Mentor Hangouts (Dates to be confirmed);
- July 2023 – July 2024: The Entire Young Leaders Fellowship Duration.
Logistics Information & Costs
Here’s How it Works
Please read the following logistics information and cost carefully.
The 2023 Fellowship Mentor Training will take place in New York, New York, from July 8 – 10, 2023, and the Fellowship Training Program will take place in New York, New York, and Burlington, Vermont, from July 11 – 19, 2023. Accommodations will be provided by New York University in New York and Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont.
Costs Covered by MCW
- International Economy Flights for international mentors/lead mentors
- Domestic Economy flights for United States mentors/lead mentors
- Housing from the evening of July 7 – July 20, 2023
- Three meals per day from July 8 – July 19, 2023
- Round Trip Travel from New York, New York to Burlington, Vermont
- Public Transportation to/from JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark Airports
- Visa Fees
Cost Not Covered by MCW
- Passport Fees
- In-Country Costs (travel to the airport, extra baggage fees, etc.)
In an effort to make the program accessible to all individuals, MCW will cover economy flight costs related to the program’s attendance for every accepted participant. Flights will only be booked to arrive one day in advance of the program and to depart one day after the program. If you wish to travel in the US for longer than this time, you must book the flight on your own, and MCW will reimburse you for the cost of the flight according to what MCW would have booked. No exceptions will be made.
If a participant delays applying for their visa after being accepted into the program and, as a result, will receive the visa less than a month before the program begins, travel will no longer be provided.
If MCW is booking any travel on behalf of a participant, all travel will be according to the most cost-efficient route and booked in economy (or equivalent) class.
Additional Housing on July 7, 2023, and July 20, 2023
MCW will provide a room the night before and after the program for those whose flight schedules require them to arrive the day before or depart after the program. This is considered to be a part of the program, and it is the responsibility of the participant to notify MCW at least a month before the start of the program if they require housing. Requests for a room later than this period of time will not be considered. Please note that a room will not be provided for those arriving or departing more than 24 hours before the start or the end of the program. These participants are expected to find their own accommodations. MCW (including staff, volunteers, board members, and friends of MCW) are not responsible for providing accommodations for participants prior to or beyond the program.
If you request the room and then choose not to stay there, please note that the NYU cancellation fee is $50 and should be paid by you.
Lead Mentor Role
Are you interested in being a Lead Mentor?
If you were a mentor at a past Young Leaders Fellowship (previously known as the Young Leaders Access Program – YLA or a pre-2016 Youth Leadership Retreat) you are eligible to apply.
Participating in online planning sessions before July 2023;
Participating in preparing and facilitating the Mentor Training portion of the Fellowship program prior to the Fellowship Training Program;
Participating in the entire in-person Fellowship Training Program;
Participating in a post-program evaluation;
Assigning mentors with roles and responsibilities, such as energizers, and workshops;
Organizing and facilitating mentor meetings;
Being available on an ad-hoc basis to address mentor needs and questions;
Contributing ideas, opportunities, and inspirational stories throughout the Fellowship program;
Co-lead regular mentor hangouts with mentors and MCW Global team members.
If you wish to be considered for the role, please fill out the mentor application and click “YES” to the question “Do you want your application to be considered for the role of Co-Lead Mentor?”
Need any help?
If you have any questions or need further clarifications, please feel free to: