Young Leaders Conference 2021 North America
About the Program
The primary goal of the Young Leaders Conference is to empower young people globally with leadership skills to engage in discussions that affect their specific regions and provide the necessary tools and means to identify and understand community issues around them.
The Young Leaders Conference-North America will welcome young people between the age of 18-26 from North America who are motivated to expand their leadership knowledge and engage in important discussions that advance their region’s well-being.
Objectives of the Young Leaders Conference-North America:
- Reach more young people in North America and equip them with leadership skills and increased awareness of social justice;
- Increase knowledge in identifying and understating social justice for the participating youth;
- Provide mentorship and financial support to develop community projects.
The Young Leaders Conference
Over a span of three days, the conference's sessions will include: redefining leadership, personal leadership building, engaging with communities, and developing soft skills. The conference will focus on creating a safe environment where participants can engage in discussions about social justice and social entrepreneurship.
Several speakers from academia, public institutions, civil society, and the private sector will share insights on these topics from their professional lens. This will provide participants with a broader perspective of the problem and an in-depth analysis of the current situation.
(July 30th - August 1st, 2021)
Understanding the Problem and Vision Planning
As participants understand their position to lead social change, they are invited to join webinar sessions to identify and understand their community issue.
Participants will go through a basic project plan and activity design through three webinars that will be spread out in the month following the conference (August 2021). These three webinars will be optional but highly encouraged.
Interested participants can opt into attending the sessions if they choose to.
(August 2021, Optional)
Financial Support and Mentorship
After the webinars on Vision Planning, participants with actionable project plans will be invited to apply for financial support (up to $300) to help implement their projects.
Interested participants can apply for financial support post-conference which will be subject to review and approval by MCW. There will be a total of five projects supported.
Participants who receive funding will be assigned a mentor from the Young Leaders Program Alumni Network to support their project execution and reporting.
(September - November 2021, Optional)
Young Leaders Must:
- Be based in North America (the US and Canada);
- Be motivated to develop leadership skills;
- Be motivated to engage in discussion around social justice and social entrepreneurship in North America;
- Be between the ages of 18-26;
- Be fluent in written and spoken English;
- Commit to attending the 3-day conference (July 30th - August 1st, 2021);
- Have access to email and Internet to allow for consistent communication with the MCW Global Team;
- Submit a completed application on or before June 25, 2021.
- April 15, 2021: Young Leaders Conference application opens;
- June 25, 2021: Young Leaders Conference application closes;
- June 30, 2021: Acceptances sent out;
- July 9, 2021: Confirmation of participation;
- July 30, 2021- August 1, 2021: Young Leaders Conference;
- August 10 - August 31, 2021: Three webinars on Vision Planning;
- September 5, 2021: Open project submissions;
- September 20, 2021: Final decisions sent out and mentors assigned;
- September 30 - November 30, 2021: Project implementation.
The application must be filled out in English.
Any part of the application that is not written in English will not be read and be considered incomplete.
The application includes:
- General Information
- Essay Questions
- Identify one leadership skill you possess. Describe a time you have been faced with a challenge and had to use this leadership skill to come up with a solution.
- Please describe any experience in local community engagement or grassroots work.
- Your resume should not be more than 1 page. We suggest that it be prepared in Times New Roman, 12 font, with 1-inch margins.
- Liability Waiver
- At the end of the application, please review the terms and conditions.
- Click here to submit the application by Friday, June 25, 2021.
Please carefully read the following logistics information:
- In an effort to make the program accessible to all participants, the Young Leaders Conference is free of charge.
- MCW Global will also cover the costs of program tools, e-modules, speakers, and additional program expenses during the conference and webinars.
Given the current circumstances and safety measures for travel and public gatherings, the Young Leaders Conference 2021 will be fully implemented virtually.
**If you have any questions or need further clarifications, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good luck with your application!