About the Program
The primary goal of the conference is to empower young people in East and Southern Africa with leadership skills to engage in discussions that affect their specific regions and provide the necessary tools and means to identify and understand issues of oral health around them. The Young Leaders Conference from September 6 to 8, 2022 will welcome young people from Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia.
This conference is being organized in partnership with MC-Tanzania.
The conference will cater to young people between the ages of 25-35 who are motivated to expand their leadership knowledge and engage in meaningful discussions that advance their region’s oral health with a focus on leadership in oral health. The conference is designed to encourage them to establish regional networks for future exchange.
Objectives of the Conference:
- Reach more young people in East and Southern Africa and equip them with leadership skills to help them establish regional networks for future exchange;
- Increase knowledge in identifying and understanding challenges of oral health of the East and Southern Africa region for the participating youth;
- Give the participants the opportunity to build strategic coalitions for oral-health advocacy;
- Provide mentorship and financial support to develop community projects.
The Young Leaders Conference
The conference will include numerous sessions over a span of three days in redefining leadership, personal leadership building, engaging with communities, and developing soft skills of leadership to help them establish regional networks for future exchange.
The conference will also focus on creating a safe environment where participants engage in discussions about the challenges faced by the oral-health community in East and Southern Africa and gain leadership skills to address issues in their communities. Several speakers from academia, public institutions, civil society, and private sectors are invited to explore those region-specific issues from their work lens.
This will provide participants with a broader perspective of the problem and an in-depth analysis of the current situation.
(September 6th - September 8th, 2022)
As participants understand their position to lead social change they are invited to join webinar sessions to identify and understand their community issues.
Participants will also go through the basic project plan and activity design through three webinars that will be spread out in the month following the conference.
These three webinars, however, will be optional. Interested participants can opt for these sessions if they wish to.
(October 10th- October 30th, 2022 Optional)
Financial Support and Mentorship
Participants with actionable project plans will be invited to apply for financial support (up to $300) to help them in implementation. This is also an optional feature of the conference. Interested participants can apply for financial support post-conference which will be subject to review and approval by MCW Global and MC-Tanzania.
Participants who receive funding will also be assigned a mentor from the Young Leaders Program Alumni Community to support their project execution and reporting which should be finalized and reported within two months after the distribution of the fund.
(November 2022 - March 2023, Optional)
Young Leaders Must:
- Be based in Rwanda, Tanzania or Zambia;
- Be an oral health professional or have a diploma in dentistry
- Be motivated to develop leadership skills;
- Demonstrate commitment to their community
- Be motivated to engage in discussion around leadership, networking and challenges facing the oral-health community in the East and Southern Africa Region;
- Be motivated to establish regional networks for future exchange;
- Be between the ages of 25-35;
- Speak English;
- Commit to attending the three-day conference;
- Have access to email and internet to allow for consistent communication with the MCW Global and MC-Tanzanian teams;
- Submit a completed application on or before July 10th, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST.
- June 10th, 2022: Young Leaders Conference application opens
- July 10th, 2022: Young Leaders Conference application closes
- July 20th, 2022: Acceptances sent out
- July 30th 2022: Confirmation of acceptance
- September 8th - September 10th, 2022: Young Leaders Conference
- October 10th, 2022 – October 30th, 2022: Three webinars (optional)
- November 30th, 2022: deadline for project submissions (optional)
- December 20th, 2022: Final decisions sent out and mentors assigned
- January 1st- March 15th, 2023: Project implementation
The application must be filled out in English.
Any part of the application that is not written in English will not be read and be considered incomplete.
The application includes:
- General Information
- Essay Questions
- Identify one leadership skill you possess. Describe a time you have been faced with a challenge and had to use this leadership skill to come up with a solution.
- Please describe any experience in local community engagement or grassroots work.
- Your resume should not be more than 1 page. We suggest that it be prepared in Times New Roman, 12 font, with 1-inch margins.
- Liability Waiver
- At the end of the application, please review the terms and conditions.
- Click here to submit the application by Sunday, July 10th, 2022.
Please carefully read the following logistics information:
- In an effort to make the program accessible to all participants, the Young Leaders Conference is free of charge. MCW Global will also cover the costs of program tools, speakers, virtual learning (post conference), and the remaining part of the program including transportation, accommodation and meals for all participants joining from Tanzania, Rwanda and Zambia.
- The conference will take place in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
**If you have any questions or need further clarifications, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good luck with your application!